Return to: Services for Students
The mission of Academic Advising is to build relationships and trust to facilitate, empower, and educate students in the exploration, definition, and pursuit of their goals.
Aims Academic Advisors are committed to helping students navigate the educational system by clarifying college culture and related processes, assisting in the identification of the career path, and discussing the appropriate academic curriculum for the student’s expressed academic/career goals.
In preparation for your first semester, your Academic Advisor will work with you to:
- Review your assessment measures
- Explain various educational pathways
- Confirm your academic and career goals
- Identify classes that will meet those goals
- Assist with the online registration process
- Inform you of important campus and community resources helpful for your success
In subsequent appointments, your Academic Advisor can assist you in:
- Setting goals
- Developing an education plan that outlines your courses all the way to graduation
- Learning graduation requirements and other policies/procedures of Aims Community College
- Monitoring and discussing your academic progress
- Referring you to academic, career, financial, social, and wellness resources that may assist you
- Discussing any concerns or obstacles you are facing during the semester and helping you get back on track
- Connecting with a faculty mentor in your area of study
Your Academic Advisor will work with you to examine the most accurate information in creating a realistic plan for accomplishing your educational and career goals. Please remember, however, the educational choices you make are yours, and the responsibility for understanding all aspects of your college attendance and for fulfilling your program requirements rests with you.
Academic Advisor assignments are made according to each student’s campus and/or declared major. Visit the following link to find your assigned academic advisor https://www.aims.edu/student/advising/meetus.php. You are encouraged to visit with your advisor each semester.