Return to: Services for Students
The TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) Classic program and the TRiO SSS STEM program are federally funded through the Department of Education to provide 280 new and continuing Aims Community College students comprehensive academic support each academic year.
Students benefit from the following free services:
- Intensive academic advising
- Academic coaching and tutoring
- Major and career exploration
- 4-Year college transfer preparation and planning
- Campus and community leadership opportunities
- Cultural and civic engagement opportunities
- Financial wellness education
Please see detailed information below, including eligibility requirements, for each program.
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) Classic
The TRiO Student Support Service Classic Program focuses on actively coaching eligible students at Aims to be successful college students. TRiO Classic provides supportive academic services; cultural enrichment experiences designed to develop students academically, personally, and professionally; and transfer and career readiness activities. The Classic Program actively creates an environment which fosters academically tenacious students who value inclusion, respect, integrity, community, personal independence, professional responsibility, and service.
TRiO Student Support Services (SSS) STEM
The TRiO SSS STEM program is dedicated to serving students who are pursuing an academic and/or career path in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, or health sciences. The STEM program fosters a proactive and supportive approach to ensure participants are exposed to, and equipped with knowledge, skills and opportunities in the STEM fields and connects students to academic, financial and cultural support resources.
Student Support Services (SSS) Eligibility
TRiO SSS Classic and STEM program eligibility for participation is determined by the Department of Education. To be eligible, students must be:
- Accepted to or enrolled at Aims Community College;
- Demonstrate a need for academic support;
- Identify in one or more of the following groups:
- Financially limited according to federal guidelines
- A first-generation college student (neither parent has received a bachelor’s degree)
- Have a documented disability
- A U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
*Students who successfully complete one semester in the TRiO Student Support Services Programs may be eligible to receive federal grant aid funds to assist with the cost of attending Aims Community College.
For more information, or to apply to one of the TRiO SSS programs, stop by College Center 220, contact us via phone at 970.339.6372, or visit our web page at www.aims.edu/student/trio/.