2020-2021 Catalog 
    Jun 13, 2024  
2020-2021 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition Classification


Tuition Classification

In general, students pay in-state or out-of-state tuition based on their residency status in Colorado. There are multiple ways to qualify for in-state tuition. The most common methods to qualify:

  • Attend a Colorado high school for at least six academic terms from three separate academic years, graduated or receive a GED, and then immediately attend college in Colorado.  
  • If you are under the age of 23 and do not meet this qualification, you may still qualify if your parent or court-appointed legal guardian lives in Colorado for 365 days before the first day of class and has taken steps to make Colorado their permanent home (Includes: a Colorado driver’s license or I.D., filing Colorado state taxes, registering to vote in Colorado, etc.).
  • If you are age 23 or over, you may qualify if you have lived in Colorado for 365 days before the first day of class and have taken steps to make Colorado your permanent home (Includes: a Colorado driver’s license or I.D., filing Colorado state taxes, registering to vote in Colorado, etc.).
  • Active-duty members of the armed forces of the United States and Canada, on permanent duty station in Colorado, and their dependents are also eligible for in-state status, regardless of how long they have lived in Colorado.

In addition, students who qualify for in-state tuition and live in the Aims tax district (which includes most of Weld County and small sections of adjoining Larimer and Adams counties), may qualify for an even lower in-district tuition rate.   

Additional information regarding Colorado residency for tuition purposes can be found at the Colorado Department of Higher Education website http://highered.colorado.gov/Finance/Residency/faq.html.

Initial Classification

Initial Residency Classification for tuition purposes is made at the point of admission based upon information the student supplies in the Application for Admission. Failure to answer all questions on the Application or failure to supply any requested documentation results in a pending residency status and the student will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate

Changes in Tuition Classification

Students who are classified as “pending” can fill out an Admissions Tuition Classification Addendum and return it to the Student Enrollment Office for reclassification.  Students will remain responsible for paying their student account based on the out-of-state rate until their Colorado residency is determined.

Individuals who were initially classified as Out-of-State, but feel they meet the requirements for in-state tuition should submit a Petition for In-State Tuition Classification to the Student Enrollment Office. The burden of proof rests upon the petitioner who has the responsibility to submit a petition with the required documentation by the first day of the semester in which the student plans to attend. Only photocopies of requested documents should be submitted with the petition because all information submitted becomes part of the person’s permanent record and cannot be returned to the petitioner.

Students remain a non-resident until they have received notification from the Tuition Classification Officer indicating a residency change has been approved. Students who are petitioning for in-state tuition classification remain responsible for paying their student account based upon their current tuition classification.


Application Addendums should be returned to Student Enrollment Office as soon as possible, but no later than the drop deadline for the current term.

Completed petitions may be submitted to the Student Enrollment Office as early as 90 days prior to the term for which the individual desires a change in classification BUT NO LATER THAN THE FIRST CLASS DAY OF THE TERM. The student should allow a minimum of two weeks for the petition to be processed. If additional information is required, it must be submitted within 15 days from the original petition unless special arrangements are made with the Tuition Classification Officer.


Any student who is denied in-state tuition classification by the Tuition Classification Officer may appeal that decision to the Registrar. Appeals must be submitted in writing to the Registrar no later than two weeks after the denial decision has been sent to the student. The decision of the Registrar is the final College determination. There can be no retroactive changes in classification.